Large dog breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier and other related breeds are among the most beloved pet animals in the United States. These canine pals are often regarded as family members and treated with the utmost care and affection. Among the essential items that a pet parent should consider when caring for these companions are collars. Pit Bulls, specifically, need a more heavy-duty collar than smaller dog breeds, so choosing the right one can be challenging. This article will provide you with detailed information about the 10 best collars for Pit Bulls in 2023.
1. Logical Leather Padded Dog Collar – Best Overall: Leather is a beautiful, classic choice for large dogs because of its timeless look and unparalleled strength. This leather collar from Logical Leather is our overall best choice and has 100% genuine leather stitched with soft, split-leather padding for maximum comfort, keeping your dog cozy and safe. The robust clasp and leash ring take the security up another notch, making walks more seamless. The cherry on top is that the Logical Leather collar is available in a wide range of eye-popping colors to fit any Pit Bull’s unique style. As with anything made of leather, your downsides are a higher upfront price and the cost of maintenance over time. It’s not super expensive, but you’ll spend a bit more time keeping it in the best shape possible.
2. OneTigris Nylon Military Dog Collar – Best Value: This military-style collar from OneTigris is our value pick and is possibly the best bang for your buck, offering reasonable durability and a utilitarian design. There are three colors available, and both sizes are extra wide at 1.5 inches. Along with the padded undercollar, this keeps your Pit Bull comfortable and prevents skin irritation. Another big pro for us is that nylon is easy to clean, but there are only three colors available. Our biggest gripe with this collar is that the sizes run a little big, so it’s best to take measurements before ordering to prevent any surprises and exchanges.
3. Hugo & Hudson Herringbone Tweed Metal Buckle Dog Collar – Premium Choice: Our premium choice, Hugo & Hudson’s Herringbone Tweed Metal Buckle Dog Collar is a more stylish collar for a more sophisticated Pit Bull. Tweed is an underrated material for dog collars, but it’s sturdy and holds up to daily wear-and-tear well. The stress-tested release buckle is easy to take off when your dog’s ready to chill or the material chafes. Although striking, tweed can be a touch abrasive on sensitive skin. Tweed’s other weakness is water. Unlike nylon and other materials, tweed doesn’t handle persistent moisture well. If your Pit Bull loves to swim, for instance, we’d recommend a different collar for the day.
4. Petsafe Quick Snap Buckle Nylon Dog Collar: With a unique collar design that tightens when the dog stops, the Petsafe Quick Snap Buckle Nylon Dog Collar can secure Pit Bull escape artists without choking them or abrading delicate skin. Another concern is premature balding from abrasion. The snap buckle makes taking it on and off a cinch but doesn’t compromise on security either. As if those aren’t good enough, the collar is a below-average price, too. We should note that more than a few user reviews mentioned the sizing for this collar to be off. It runs a bit bigger than the size you order, so keep that in mind.
5. CollarDirect Tribal Aztec Nylon Dog Collar: The CollarDirect Tribal Aztec Nylon Dog collar has a snazzy design and a big width to make it as comfortable as possible on your Pit Bull. On the functional side, the collar has a lockable side-release snap buckle that’s easy to adjust and remove. A carbon-plated D-ring gives extra strength to leashes, but that’s not all; the collar is hypoallergenic for even the most sensitive Pit Bulls. On the negative end, the carbon-plated D-ring is made of plastic underneath, which could become an issue later on with enough wear and tear.
6. Buckle-Down Diagonal Buffalo Plaid Dog Collar: Buckle-Down’s Diagonal Buffalo Plaid Dog Collar adds a splash of color to your dog’s day while being super easy for you to use. The seatbelt-style buckle is the easiest part—just push and click to close it and press the center button to release it. The collar itself is made of a high-density polyester for long-term durability and washability. While suitable for daily use, this isn’t a collar for the beach or pool since its metal buckle will rust with prolonged moisture. Salty beach air is especially bad for it, so maybe save this one for the house.
7. Country Brook Design Paisley Polyester Martingale Dog Collar: If you’re sick of buckles, look no further than this handsome paisley dog collar from Country Brook. It has a simple slip-on design, and loops provide course correction when on the leash. Simply put, it’ll tighten up when they stray from your intended course and loosen up again to provide some freedom. This is nice for teaching your Pit Bull how to walk on the leash, something that is sometimes challenging when they’re very young. The smooth polyester itself is strong but not rough on the skin. The biggest problem with this collar is that it has no quick-release mechanism, so it’ll need to be taken off before extended periods alone. That might be a dealbreaker for some people, so consider it carefully.
8. GoTags Nylon Personalized Dog Collar: For a more personal touch, go with the GoTags Nylon Personalized Dog Collar for your Pit Bull. Embroider up to 25 characters on the collar, which is enough space for their name and your contact info. In the event of an emergency, anyone who finds your dog will be able to reach you. The collar material is a plain, durable nylon that won’t scratch, and at an inch wide, it’s fairly comfortable too. The weak point of this collar is the plastic snap buckle, which we’re not impressed with. It could easily break if you have a very spirited Pit Bull who likes to tug on the leash.
9. Soft Touch Collars Leather Two-Tone Padded Dog Collar: This leather collar from Soft Touch collars comes in four elegant color schemes, and they look fantastic on the authentic hand-stitched leather material too. Inside, your Pit Bull will feel luxuriously soft sheepskin leather, which keeps them comfy all day. The serviceable buckle is made of lacquered brass to last forever, and you also have a leash D-ring and brass ring to hold an ID card. For a collar that’ll last a lifetime, this is a fantastic option to consider.
10. Blue-9 Balance Harness: While not technically a collar, we felt the Blue-9 Balance Harness deserved a spot on this list. This innovative harness is specifically designed to distribute pressure evenly across your dog’s body, preventing choking and neck injuries. The Balance Harness has six adjustment points and a padded girth strap, ensuring that it fits securely, so you don’t have to worry about any slips or escapes, even with the most vigorous Pit Bull.
In conclusion, choosing the right collar for your Pit Bull is essential to their comfort and safety. The collars listed above are made of high-quality materials, designed for durability, and are available in different styles and colors, so you’re sure to find something perfect for your furry friend. Invest in a quality collar, and your Pit Bull will thank you for it.