Jasmine rice is a variant of white rice that is often prescribed for dogs that have gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea. It is a common food that is easy to come by and often inexpensive, and most dogs enjoy it. Jasmine rice is a long-grain rice that is mainly cultivated in Thailand and Cambodia. It has a distinct fragrance and sticky texture, making it a staple in many Asian dishes. Jasmine rice is sweet when cooked and is very soft. There are two varieties of jasmine rice: white and brown. Both kinds can be eaten by dogs, but brown rice is often not as easily digestible as it still has the bran, giving it its tan color. The bran is nutritious but makes the rice harder to digest. Because of the bran, brown rice isn’t recommended to be fed to dogs with digestive issues.
Jasmine rice is non-toxic and has some health benefits for dogs. It can bind up your dog’s poop if they have acute diarrhea and is generally very starchy, which can help the gastrointestinal tract slow down and absorb excess water. Additionally, jasmine rice is a good source of carbohydrates, energy, and many vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, phosphorus, iron, B vitamins, selenium, and manganese. These nutrients can help control nerve impulses, contribute to muscle and nerve functions, facilitate a healthy immune system, promote healthy bones and teeth, create red blood cells and transport oxygen around the body, help with a wide range of bodily processes, including metabolism, muscle and nerve functions, energy regulation, and cognitive functions, have powerful antioxidant action and help regulate healthy thyroid gland functions, and help dogs metabolize energy, create enzymes, and contribute to bone and cartilage health.
However, it is essential to consult your veterinarian before introducing new food to your dog and before feeding them jasmine rice. Jasmine rice is not suitable for dogs that are diabetic or overweight, as it has a high glycemic index, which can cause significant changes in blood sugar levels. Additionally, serving jasmine rice with onions, garlic, or other members of the allium family can pose a real risk to your dog’s health. Jasmine rice should be boiled and cooked plain, with no additives. Some common additives like salt and butter can make your dog sick. Salt in high amounts can cause sodium toxicity, while too much fat in the diet contributes to obesity.
If you’re giving your dog jasmine rice as a treat, limit it to once or twice a week. Treats, in general, should only make up around 10% of your dog’s diet; the remaining 90% should be well-balanced dog food. For unwell dogs, follow your vet’s advice about how much rice your dog should be given. Portions sizes for jasmine rice should roughly stick to the guidance for any white rice, with small dogs should be given around 1–3 tablespoons of cooked jasmine rice, medium dogs should be given around ¼ a cup of cooked jasmine rice, and large dogs should be given around ⅓ to ½ a cup of cooked jasmine rice. This amount should be tailored to your dog’s size and weight, and speaking with your vet beforehand can help you decide how much jasmine rice will benefit your dog.
In conclusion, jasmine rice is a rice similar to other starchy white rice. It is commonly used in Asian cuisine and is a fragrant grain that cooks softer than ordinary white rice. Jasmine rice is perfectly safe for your dog to eat, provided they are given it under the guidance of your vet. Jasmine rice is non-toxic and can help dogs recover from gastrointestinal issues, including diarrhea. Its properties can provide dogs with numerous vitamins and minerals, but it is essential to serve it plain, without additives or spices. Lastly, serving jasmine rice to dogs with diabetes and weight issues is not advisable due to its high glycemic index. Consulting the vet is always a wise decision before serving any new food item to dogs.